Sunday, May 15, 2016

Spiralized Vegetables with Broccoli Pesto


The lengths I go to for dieting… I wasn’t looking forward to my dinner recently as I’d decided to make pesto out of broccoli and serve it over spiralized veg, while my fiancé was tucking in to a pizza. Though as he correctly pointed out, it was a frozen pizza and he could have ordered Domino’s but didn’t as he knew it would make it harder for me - and I was the one who cooked him the pizza!
 
But when I actually started to eat my dinner I was surprised at how good it actually tasted, and I really enjoyed it. Which is not to say I wouldn’t rather have had a pizza but I have a wedding dress to get in to!
 
The recipe comes from I Quit Sugar by Sarah Wilson which has become a book I turn to a lot at the moment!
  
To serve one, you need:

Spiralized veg: I used half a tub of spiralized carrot from Tesco (it’s hard to put a carrot through a spiralizer unless it’s a really thick one), and I spiralized half a butternut squash to go with it.
For the pesto:
1 cup broccoli florets, steamed until tender
1 spring onion, peeled
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
Juice of ½ lemon
15g grated parmesan or 30g cashews, soaked in water for 1-4 hours and drained – but I didn’t have time to do this and used them without soaking and it worked pretty much fine I think. I also cheated and used both the parmesan and the cashews which made the pesto more substantial and gave it a lovely flavour.
Salt and pepper to taste

Basically I put all the ingredients in a food processor
 

Pulse until you have a thick green paste


Serve over spiralized veg, which I find best gently steamed or stir fried so it isn't raw but it doesn't take much cooking:


I'm sending this to Meat Free Mondays, hosted by Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes. Also this recipe would be vegan if you left out the parmesan.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment